Modernisation of railway lines : Siorac – Sarlat and Bergerac – Le Buisson
The French rail network RFF wished to modernise 2 railway lines located in the department of the Dordogne:
– from Siorac to Sarlat: 25.23 km of track,
– from Bergerac to Le Buisson: 34.28 km of track.
These lines are non-electrified single track, within UIC group 9 AV (with passengers) and used commercially by the SNCF (TER).
The 2 lines feature many structures of the following types:
- Large, multi-span stone viaducts,
- Stone walls and riprap,
- Stone tunnels,
- Metal structures of twin-beam bridge type,
- Various single-span stone or concrete structures with modest apertures (of approximately 1 m to 20 m).
This was the first maintenance and modernisation project of an operational railway network to be carried out by a private engineering firm.
Client & Project Manager
Pre-project, project, assistance in awarding contracts, project conformity assessment and approval of working plans, and supervision of works carried out in respect of the replacement of structures, restoration of impermeability, anti-corrosion protection and repair to metalwork, stonework and small civil engineering works on the engineering and hydraulic structures of 2 railways lines.
- Impermeability of viaducts: 18 Engineering Structures (ES) including 4 large multi-span viaducts
- Drainage of tunnels: 5 structures
- Replacement: 4 ES
- Total restoration of anti-corrosion protection: 21 ES
- Masonry and small civil engineering works: approximately 200 ES
DIADES managed the project studies and the specialist maintenance works to engineering structures, which included replacing and modernising the engineering structures and hydraulic structures of the 2 railway lines.
The main works were of the following types:
- Restoring the impermeability of the stone bridges and viaducts and draining the water from the tunnels having first used radar location,
- Restoring the anti-corrosion protection with presence of lead, repairing metal structures, replacing or repainting safety railings,
- Replacing 4 metal decks with 1 through-track structure (NTPJ-b) and 3 side-track structures (1 RaPUM and 2 RaDBA),
- Masonry works (ground anchors, clasping ties, and so on) and small civil engineering works.